Thursday, September 14, 2017

Day 10: Gone But Not Forgotten

30-Day Challenge: Day 10


  • Card: One of your favorite cards from the 1960s
    • 1993 Upper Deck All-Time Heroes - #13 Paul Blair
  • Music: A song that makes you sad
    • STRFKR - Basically (2017)

This photo is likely from the 1960s

Another decade that is entirely absent from my collection.  Like the last post, I'm going to call an audible and borrow from a 1993 Upper Deck set, this time it is All-Time Heroes. 

Paul Blair made his debut with the Orioles in 1964, became a starter in 1965, and won a World Series in 1966.  In Game 3 of the 1966 World Series he was the sole offensive contributor, hitting a solo home run, in the Orioles' 1-0 shutout over the Dodgers.  As he was known for his defense in center field, he also contributed to the World Series victory by robbing the Dodgers of a potential game-tying home run in Game 4.

All in all, Blair is a solid player to represent from the 1960s for today's card.

Sadly, Blair passed away in 2013 the day after Christmas at the young age of 69.



Unfortunately, death is all around us. 

The lyrics describe the physical and emotional heartache I've felt with the passing of my father:
Every day is basically the same now
Get so sad when I think about you
All the things you showed to me
All the things I couldn't do without you
Only one verse in this song as no other words need to be said.  The drum machine and guitar loop throughout the song, never changing.  Only toward the end of the song with the addition of a synthesizer do we get some feeling back into the song.  The repetition sets me into a daze making me feel like truly, every day is basically the same now. 

4 comments:

  1. There was a time when I was targeting a set (or even an unopened box) of 1993 Upper Deck All-Time Heroes. Maybe I need to add it back to my eBay searches. It's such a great product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have about a dozen of these cards so I'd like to get some more of these as well. They are great historical cards

      Delete
  2. I recently found a box of this at my LCS. It was a fun break and the set is within reach.

    ReplyDelete