Thursday, January 18, 2018

I'll Take TTM Success for $200, Alex

A few months ago I slowly dipped my toes into the world of TTMing.  I sent out two cards both to non-athletes.  This was my way of seeing if I wanted to do more of it.  Today I received my first success and now I look forward to sending out more requests.

2007 Topps Allen & Ginter

It's Ken Jennings! Notable Jeopardy champion and local celebrity.  According to the back of the card, he won over $2.5 million during his unprecedented run.  He was also later beaten by a robot but that was not really his fault.

The blue looks great on the Allen and Ginter card.  The autograph is slightly smudged as it was likely put into a penny sleeve right after being signed.  I think I included the sleeve so that one is on me.  Can't expect them to wait for the pen to dry.  Next time I won't included any sleeves.

This was not my first time obtaining Mr. Jennings' autograph.  I attended a book reading of his about 5 years where I had him sign a copy of Maphead.  I am indeed a maphead.  I could seriously spend hours reading maps.


It takes some work to send out TTM requests but the payoff is worth it.  I'll try to get some requests out for Spring Training and hope for the best!

3 comments:

  1. Neat. That episode against the robot was so rigged though. Like watching old 50s game shows, LOL. I've sent exactly two TTM requests in my life, with a 50% success rate. I should post about the one success someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I love non-ball player baseball card TTM returns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A&G has been great for featuring non-sports players who otherwise would never get a card. Plus, autos look excellent on the clean designs

      Delete