Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Looking Back at My Favorite Cards of 2017

2017 was the the lowest of lows to the highest of highs. From my father passing away at the beginning of the year to my son being born almost exactly 9 months later. Cards have been a big help in finding a way to escape and relax when needed.

Card-wise, 2017 was an interesting year. I purchased more new basketball hobby boxes (1) than I did baseball (0). I also bought more old hobby boxes than I did new.

However, most of my favorite cards were singles I purchased.  Opening packs can be fun (and that's why I still buy retail packs often) but it's nice getting cards I actually want.  I'm finding that more often than not, boxes are a disappointment.  Since singles were a main focus of my collection this past year, here are 5 of my favorite cards from 2017.  

2017 Topps Now

Topps Now cards tend to get into a rut whether it be blasé photos or subject matters.  This card features one of the most interesting photos I've seen and captured a crucial moment in the World Baseball Classic.  Sadly, once the regular season hit Topps fell back into the rut of walkoff this, walkoff that.  I don't think they can track all 30 teams while coming up with exciting Topps Now cards all the time.  They did try better in 2017 and I hope they can do even better in 2018.

2017 Donruss - Gray Border SN199

I liked the simplicity of base Donruss but the borders were a bland white.  I don't know why Panini didn't copy what it did for football, which was make the borders color coded.  The gray border parallel set looks better than the base.  I briefly considered putting together the parallel set until I came to my senses.

2017 Topps National Baseball Card Day Seattle Mariners

This card is from the stadium giveaway for National Baseball Card Day.  This set actually features photos from the 2017 season as evident by the 40th Anniversary patch on Paxton's arm.  The 40th Anniversary patch didn't get much cardboard love this year thanks to Seattle's sparse appearance in Topps Now.  The stadium giveaway cards are tough to find so I'm glad I found a set on eBay when I did.


2017 Upper Deck Marvel Spider-Man Homecoming - From Queens to Screen Single Autographs

I have not watched the new Spider Man nor do I plan on watching it. Hannibal Buress is one of my favorite comedians, which is the only reason I have this card. He's hilarious on Broad City and his stand-up is great, too.  I never thought I would see him on a card, let alone his autograph.  A definite score for me.

2017 Panini Black Friday - Rapture SN10

Klay Thompson is one of the best players to come out of WSU.  It's not too often WSU gets cardboard love so I tend to jump on those cards when I can.  I'm missing two cards from this mini-rainbow.  The 1/1 card, which I will probably never get and the base card, which I have never seen.  I find it curious I've seen multiple parallels of this card on eBay but never the base.  An unsolved mystery for sure.

There are plenty more cards from 2017 that I loved but I simply do not have the time to show them.  

Happy New Year to everyone in the blogosphere!

6 comments:

  1. Very nice. I love Hannibal Buress, too.. will have to keep an eye out for one of those autos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His autos have remained surprisingly inexpensive. Martin Starr on the other hand goes for at least double for an auto from the same product.

      Delete
  2. "I liked the simplicity of base Donruss but the borders were a bland white. I don't know why Panini didn't copy what it did for football, which was make the borders color coded."

    Here, here! I love the football version of this set for that very reason. Panini really missed the ball there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't care much for the base design of Topps so Donruss would have been an excellent substitute. Oh well.

      Delete
  3. I really like that Buress autograph. Never seen any of these before. Guess I should look over the checklist and look into possibly buying a few. Very sorry to hear about your father passing away earlier in 2017. However congratulations on the new addition to your family. Have a great 2018!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fuji. The auto checklist for Spider Man was pretty good for a major movie

      Delete