Saturday, September 10, 2016

Week 2 Recap + Cougar Ground Game

I don't envy sports writers.  I started to write the intro to his blog several times during the game before stopping. This was a game of peaks and valleys for the Cougars.  As of right now, I thought WSU was done for as they had failed to convert on 4th down, down by 10 points with 6 minutes left in the game.  Then two minutes later, WSU makes an interception and on the next offensive play, Luke Falk throws a long bomb to none other than Gabe Marks.  

4:17 left and the Cougars trail only by a field goal.  Boise State is about to receive the kickoff so I'm going to stop writing now.  

Alright.  Ultimately the game came down to a WSU Hail Mary pass from about the 50 yard line.  

There were no Central Michigan heroics tonight as Falk's pass was well short of the end zone and batted down anyway.

I truly believed WSU could have started this season 2-0 but instead they are winless on the year. Again, I think it's too early to lose hope for the season.  That's not to say that I'm not worried, though.

I'm going to cheer myself up by talking about cards.  




As I previously mentioned, the current Cougar football coach, Mike Leach, employs an Air Raid offense.  Thus, the offense flows through the QB and the receiving corps.  The run game, while not completely ignored, certainly takes a backseat to the passing game.

2006 Press Pass SE - Game Used Jerseys Silver

The most notable Cougar running back I can think of is Jerome Harrison.  He played for two years with WSU, 2004 and 2005, after playing at a junior college.  Part of the reason why he stands out so much to me is that he played during the same time I was at WSU.  He exploded in his senior year when he was the featured back.  He set the Cougars' single-season rushing record with 1,900 yards.  

2006 SAGE HIT - Autographs Silver
Even though I knew it wouldn't happen, I really hoped he would get some Heisman consideration since he was playing so well at the time.  Harrison ended up finishing 9th, as Reggie Bush ended up winning the trophy.  Although we all know how that turned out for Bush.  Who has that trophy now anyway?

2006 Press Pass - Game Used Jerseys Silver

Harrison certainly had the talent to play in the NFL and was drafted by the Browns in the 5th round. He didn't get a chance to start until 2009, when he certainly made the most of it.  During a game against the Chiefs, he brokeJim Brown's single-game rushing record for a Brown running back with 286 yards and three touchdowns.  

2006 Donruss Elite - College Ties Green

In October 2011, the Lions traded Harrison to the Eagles.  However, the routine physical exam revealed a brain tumor, which ultimately ended his career.  Thankfully, he survived and has been able to make a good recovery.  I'm glad I had the chance to see him play during his time WSU as he was a lot of fun to watch.  CBS did an excellent piece on Harrison:




No comments:

Post a Comment