Sunday, December 23, 2018

Secret Santa Drops an F-Bomb

For this year's blogger Secret Santa, I was the lucky recipient of cards from Peter over at Baseball Every Night.

Let's see what Peter delivered!



In Peter's letter he hopes that these are cards I still need and I can say for sure that these cards are well needed!


First up is a trio of 1983-84 O-Pee-Chee hockey cards of Ken Solheim who had a short-lived and unspectacular career in the NHL.  I collect these cards as a small tribute to my dad who shares the same name with this player.  I've posted the story before about how my dad received a call from a young woman asking for Ken Solheim but my dad was not whom she was looking for. 


This 1978 Topps team card of the Mariners goes into my Stadiums PC.  As ugly as the Kingdome was, it still had a certain charm.  I attended a fair share of Mariners and Seahawks games at the Kingdome so I still have fond memories of the place.


Oh shit! I mean, oh fuck! It's a Fuck Face Billy Ripken card!! This had been on my want list ever since I found out about it a few years ago.  I received this card at the time when everyone was freaking out about the Menendez brothers Mark Jackson card and I'd take this card over that one any day! I think it's just such a hilarious story and an iconic card.

Thank you for all the wonderful cards, Peter! 




8 comments:

  1. Peter really outdid himself with that Billy Ripken! The Mark Jackson card was just a quick trend, one that's pretty much already run it's course, but the Ripken FF will be desired for as long as people are still collecting baseball cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prices on the Jackson card have definitely come down (I see a lot of recently sold auctions for under $5) so you're right about it having run its course.

      Delete
  2. Awesome FF Billy Ripken! Such an iconic card. Great haul and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome...the gift that keeps on giving 29 years later... Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man... I love the Kingdome! Don't be calling it ugly ;)

    ReplyDelete