Thursday, October 6, 2016

Dusting Off the Cobwebs

Oof.  It has been far too long since I last posted.  I wish I could say I had some great excuse but that's simply not the case.  I have not really deviated much from my daily routine.

I went to one of the last Mariners home games at the end of September.  The Mariners had their annual Fan Appreciation Night.  In addition to the team poster giveaway, the team was also giving away prizes throughout the night.  I almost won a big screen TV! Well not really.  They called out my section but the winning row was way off. 


For late September, the weather was fantastic.  Clear skies and warm temperatures.  The game was fantastic as well.  The Mariners scored early and the pitching was sharp.  This kept them alive in the playoff hunt.  Unfortunately, as you can see now, they did not end up making the playoffs.  I think there is a lot of optimism for next year.

The team store had a lot of items on clearance and I picked up several packs of 2015 Gypsy Queen. For only $7 each, marked down from $15, I bought 4 value packs that featured 4 packs each: 3 regular packs and 1 white parallel pack.  

Despite having 12 retail packs, I didn't pull much of note.


This card commemorates one of the greatest moments in Mariners history.  Game 5 of the 1995 ALDS, down by two runs to the dreaded Yankees in the bottom of the 11th, Edgar Martinez hits a double scoring Joey Cora and a sliding Ken Griffey Jr.  The Mariners had won their first postseason series.  Listening to the call by Dave Niehaus still gives me chills. 


I should be more excited about pulling a low numbered, framed mini-relic.  Mike Minor didn't even play a baseball game in 2015.  From what I can tell, he's been injured since the 2014 season.  He's with the Royals organization now.


Last up is probably my favorite card out of the ones I pulled.  This is from an insert called the Basics of Baseball.  The insert is as simple as it sounds: an explanation of certain baseball terms.  Although these are just basics, I like the idea of a set that seeks to create a greater understanding of the game. It's only a 15 card insert so I'd like to collect the rest.

These cards were collecting too much dust waiting to be blogged about so it's nice to be able to file them away now.  Hopefully this blog won't collect too much dust, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment