Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Sweet Lou

Lou Piniella is and will be for the foreseeable future (the Mariners aren't winning a World Series anytime soon under Scott Servais) the best Seattle Mariners manager of all time. He led the Mariners to several playoff victories, achieved a 116 win season, and provided plenty of amusement with his on-the-field fits.


I was browsing eBay for inexpensive 2017 Topps Archives Signature Series cards when I saw this beautiful Piniella auto on a 2009 Topps Archives card. Although it is not him in a Mariners uniform, the card was too nice looking to pass over.  Unfortunately there were no cheap cards of him with the Mariners.

Aesthetically I like how the colors are bright and the blue signature matches the design well. His penmanship is pleasing as well. As a bonus the card itself is in good condition. Not that I will be taking it out of its case.

The card set me back $13 which is pretty good considering it came out of a $40 box. This marks my first Lou Piniella autograph.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice! I picked up a similar Archies Signature card of Ozzie Guillen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome card. 1960 Topps are hands down my favorite manager card designs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a really nice autograph. Never owned a Lou Pinella autograph, but after seeing this card I might need to track one down. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at how reasonable his autographs were.

      Delete