Friday, September 1, 2017

Cleaning Out the Draft Folder

If you blog like me, sometimes you start to type up a post and stop part-way through for whatever reason.  Maybe the blog post was only half thought out, you ran out of time that day, or you just needed to scan some cards.  

And if you're also like me, you don't have the desire to finish the draft when you return to it days, weeks, or months later.  Maybe the "moment" is gone, the post seems too out of date, or you just never felt like scanning those damn cards.

In an attempt to clean out some draft posts, I've decided to throw them all in one convenient post, warts and all. If you're reading this, it also means that *this* post made it out of draft purgatory as well.

------

Working Title: CFL
Last Draft Date: December 17, 2016
Cause of Death: Lack of scans


Recently I made a purchase on Dave & Adam's Card World (aka DA Card World) for a couple boxes that I will share at a later date [Ed. I don't think that ever happened].  When ordering from DA Card World, they include bonus gifts depending on the purchase amount.  The bonuses range from 1 pack for a more desirable set to several packs for the less wanted items.

There were single packs available for various sports but the higher quantity items included 12 packs of 2012 Upper Deck MLS or an 8-pack box of 2014 Upper Deck CFL.  As an added bonus, they were offering double bonus gifts so I would get two times whatever gift I selected.

I strongly debated the MLS cards given the Seattle Sounders' recent MLS Cup victory. I looked at the Sounders checklist and didn't see any names that jumped out at me.  So I decided to take a chance on some cards I would otherwise never purchase--Canadian Football League cards.

I have actually watched a game or two of the CFL.  I was driving up to Alaska in late August, which requires a very lengthy drive through Canada.  During one of my motel stays in what surely was a small town, the only good thing on TV happened to be football; Canadian football.  I don't recall any specifics of the game as this happened over 5 years ago now.  I do remember not being that interested in the game as I didn't know of any of the teams or players but in defense of the CFL, there are a lot of NFL games I do not have any interest in, either.

Obviously, this post was about Canadian Football League cards.  Here is the O-Pee-Chee insert that I only scanned recently.  Upper Deck did a nice job with the look and feel of these insert cards.



------

Working Title: Obama Cards
Last Draft Date: December 29, 2016 (I suspect I started this earlier)
Cause of Death: Lost the "moment" / Lack of scans

2009 President Obama Inaugural Edition
'Tis the season for ad-nasuem election coverage.  I don't mind it though it though as I consider myself a political junkie.  I studied political science in school, volunteered for campaigns, and worked for a couple state senators.  Election season is always my favorite time of year.

When I was sorting through all of my cards I came across a few cards from this Obama Topps set.  I don't know if any other president ever had their own full fledged set but assuming not, this is quite remarkable.  It made sense for Topps given all of the buzz surrounding Obama's campaign and his historic victory to become the first black U.S. President.

Everyone has their own opinion on Obama and I don't intended to make this a political post.

bought a box for $20
great collation as I completed the entie 90 card set and 1 card short fo the 18 card sticker insert



I'm pretty sure I started the post before the results of the November 2016 election but I tried to come back to the post.  I still never scanned my Obama cards.  Plus, due to my dad's passing shortly after the last draft date, I lost my motivation to blog and the "moment" had passed on this topic.

------

Working Title: 2016 Best Of
Last Draft Date: March 20, 2017
Cause of Death: Too untimely

2016 has been a fun year of collecting for me.  I started collecting cards again and I've become more involved that I could anticipate.  I never imagined it would lead me to start blogging.  The card community is great.

Panini Classics
Panini Diamond Kings (Cruz relic, I think)




Chasing 3K and Griffey inserts [From 2016 Topps]

FP insert, Brownstein [First Pitch insert from 2016 Topps of Sleater-Kinney guitarist Carrie Brownstein]

I didn't have the energy to make this post before the start of the New Year and I never could get it done afterwards.  In addition, several of these cards had been shown previously so I felt less of an urgent need to show them off.  

------

Now that these posts are out in the wild, I feel better about not having my work go to waste.  These were never going to turn into full-fledged posts.  It's only right that they get posted in some form or another.

2 comments:

  1. I have some I never finished going back to 2015...probably will never see the light of day.

    JFK got his own card set, more than one I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See this is why it was in my draft folder, I hadn't done the research yet! I see a couple sets up on the TCDB.

      Delete